Thursday, July 14, 2011

A quick comment from the tragically messy...

Hi, my name is Shelley and I am a messaholic.  It has been a couple of hours since I was forced to rapi-clean* my house for strangers....

As if life is not chaotic enough right now, this week I have been visited by the AT&T service tech (stupid non-working modem...I hate you technology!) as well as the new bug vendor who arrived this morning to vanquish the spider and wasp population that had taken up residence in my house.  Those that know me well or have worked with me or stayed with me while on business trips (Hi Dena if you are reading this!) or just know me, know that I am tragically messy. 

It all started when I was a kid...I think it was because I hated the pumpkin orange of my carpet (um, who wouldn't?) and thus found a way to spread my clothes and belongings all over the floor.  This affliction began to take over all viable surfaces in my childhood bedroom as well.  Then, as my chore growing up was doing the dishes (and by doing I mean loading and unloading the dishwasher), I grew further and further away from wanting to do anything to keep my space clean. 

So now to this week where I have had a stranger in my house every other day...well, I could not have them thinking I was a hoarder so I did the mad dash around my house each morning hiding, ferreting, or throwing away everything in site (which is hard when the bug guys want to spray around all the plumbing pipes!)  And now I cannot find my checkbook, or stamps, or anything remotely essential.  THIS is why I don't clean up!  My mess has a system and I can find things so much easier when they are all out on the floors or surfaces in plain sight.

So now things are relatively straight around here and once again I make a promise to myself that I am going to keep things straight this time.  But like any messaholic, I will once again most likely fall back into bad habits next weekend when I return from a business trip and just drop my suitcase in the closest spot....that is how it always starts....

Shelley

*Rapi-clean:  The act of running furiously around your space and shoving all mess and clutter into convenient hiding places 

No comments:

Post a Comment